POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux question [off-topic] : Linux question [off-topic] Server Time
21 Jul 2024 02:31:44 EDT (-0400)
  Linux question [off-topic]
From: Peter Popov
Date: 9 Nov 2002 06:10:03
Message: <toqpsuglri163eispo4rs0q3ecoap5d08u@4ax.com>
Sorry for the off-topic question, guys, but I really need help with
this one.

I set up a small network of machines (1 WinXP, 1 Mac, 1 Win2k and
various on-and-off laptops). They are connected to the larger network
through a Linux firewall, a Dual PII-266 running Debian-3.0-testing
with a custom-compiled SMP-enabled kernel 2.4.19.

Everything seems find until I mount a Windows share which is behind
the firewall. It works, but when trying to copy large files (>512 MB)
the load gets too big for the firewall and it starts dropping packets,
so Windows drops the file copying. top indicates near-50% system time,
which, to me, indicates that only one CPU is used for packet
filtering. Both CPUs are working and supported by the kernel
(according to /proc/cpuinfo).

Is there anything I can do besides digging into stochastic queueing?

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg